Wednesday, May 12, 2010

AND THE ROMAINE....

...when I checked the vegtable bin on my return...edible romaine!! Surprised, but pleased at its longevity, I know it will be part of my first dinner back. But first, breakfast: and my fallback meal is cereal - still some flakes remaining-defrosted strawberries and the milk that has still not reached its expiration.

As my day of errands and laundry progresses, I whip up some scrambled eggs to which I add the leftover anchovy stuffed olives and cubed mozzarella still lurking in a plastic container in the refrigerator. Along with some toast, it makes a surprisingly tasty lunch. Those olives are turning out to be a lot more versatile than I thought - I'm learning to think beyond martinis.

The dinner hour approaches and I paw through the freezer(s) seeking inspiration. A chicken breast calls my name and when I find a frozen rosemary and sea salt dinner roll, I know I've got my meal. I chop that remaining romaine, sprinkle on some chopped toasted walnuts for added crunch, and toss it all with olive oil and pomegranate vinegar. I make a quick pan sauce for my sauteed chicken breast with some water, chicken bouillion (Better than Bouillion is the ONLY way to go when you need some added taste- Beef, Chicken, Ham, Vegetable, Mushroom - they're all terrific!) and fresh, albeit somewhat dried out, thyme. I have to admit that I'm pleased with myself for making use of all these items in a tasty way.

A pre-dawn departure the following morning to Minneapolis for business and Fargo to satisfy my curiousity equates with a respite from leftovers. What will survive my absence? Milk? Some carrots? Yogurt I've been hoarding secretly?

No comments:

Post a Comment