Tuesday, May 11, 2010

BACK TO THE FUTURE- Day 12

That old enemy, time, caught up with me and I had no time for updates prior to leaving on the first leg of my trip: Dallas and Austin. So, to review...day 12, the last day before departure, breakfast was quick scrambled eggs and whole wheat English muffin.

Still facing half of a triple pack of romaine, I searched through the refrigerator shelves and cheese drawer for inspirational salad additions and decided on cubes of mozzarella and anchovy stuffed olives - the BEST for martinis- especially dirty martinis! Olive oil and balsamic vinegar on hand at the office, and I was set.

My new enemy - broccoli - was awaiting me at the dinner hour. No question that ingesting all that was remaining would create a most uncomfortable situation, so I slice and chop a few of the stalks and freeze the rest, not certain how it will fare, but I'm thinking I can always make a broccoli soup. I boil up some linguine, add the broccoli for the last couple of minutes, then toss it all with leftover alfredo sauce, a splash of milk, and some grated parmesan. It was fabulous, reminiscent of one of my favorite meals from the old Pasta Factory. And I was satisfied I would leave in the morning having made good use of my fresh produce. But uh-oh - I still have some romaine lurking in the vegetable drawer. Rather than toss it, I let it sit, hoping that when I return in 5 days, there'll be enough life left in the lettuce for it to be edible.

No comments:

Post a Comment