Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A DAY LATE, BUT NO FOOD SHORTAGES - DAY 9

If anyone's paying attention, you might remember I have a soup can of noodles and whatever else is there left from draining off the soup concentrate for Saturday night's chicken pan sauce. There's also those 2 small pieces of prosciutto still lurking in the meat drawer. I sense a fabulous breakfast omelette on its way. I break the prosciutto into small strips and heat them in a small frying pan, add the noodles et. al. and heat it all up. I whip a couple of eggs and pour them on top, on my way to an ersatz frittata/omelette. Disappointing would be how I would describe the results, not nearly as flavorful as I had hoped. But Wiley enjoys the leftovers on top of his canned Pedigree Chunky Beef, Bacon, and Cheese. Life is still good (for him anyway).

Lunch doesn't loom so promising either. Yes, fresh romaine again - but with what?? OK, I chop some of the broccoli on top and run out of ideas. The lack of tomatoes is really causing me concern. But wait, I DO have leftover sun-dried tomato pesto dip that will add that tomato flavor - so I mix that with buttermilk (which if you've never tried as a low-cal base for a salad dressing you're really missing a bet) and decide I have a winner. Lunch is done.

Tonight I forego movie night with some friends (senior citizen discout night at Sunset AMC) and attend a business meeting on the plight of the City of Miami's new lack of a film office and/or a knowledgeable film commissioner (sorry, Harry, by your own admission at tonight's meeting, you know nothing). By the time I arrive home I'm ravenous and all I've got ready to go is that one small slice of leftover pizza. Hold it. I do have somewhere in the freezer from a few weeks ago a couple of homemade meatballs in spaghetti sauce. Luckily that container is labeled so I find it fairly quickly, along with a chunk of Fresh Market's roasted garlic bread. So while I'm writing this, I'm heating the pizza slice, defrosting the bread, heating the meatballs in sauce in the microwave. And voila! Dinner's ready, so more tomorrow....

1 comment:

  1. Senior citizen and you just don't go together!! I like your idea of sun dried tomato pesto turning into a dressing!

    ReplyDelete