Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I'M NOT THE FIRST

To those of you that have criticized me for claiming this experiment as my own: no, I'm not saying this is an original idea. Egullet has contributors that have done this, I understand it's an exercise for the CSA, and I'm sure many, many others have gone through this experience. And now it's my turn.

So, knowing I'll be gone for 5 days has altered my thinking a bit about what and how I'm eating the remainder of this week. The lettuce and broccoli must be gone by Friday night. Those are perishables that will turn unappetizingly slimy during my absence. But another lunch of lettuce and broccoli is not what I want. I check the freezer. There, behind the 2 (!) containers of mango puree I find what I can only assume is a fistful of macaroni and cheese. A quick hit in the microwave confirms my assumption. Now I'm looking forward to a midday meal of mac'n'cheese with chopped broccoli! I'm hoping the good, cruciferous broccoli will help offset the effects of the creamy mac'n'cheese.

Breakfast? I'm in a rush so I opt once again for cereal and milk, keeping in mind that I should use up that milk before I go as well.

But no dinner to plan as I'm heading to Jupiter tonight for a play. I will have to eat along the road. Will fast food be my only choices? Much will depend on south Florida's erratic traffic patterns and the ultimate length of time the drive takes. The play better be good, but I know many of the actors and have confidence it won't be time wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment